ModBox Beta pre-3.2.2_1
BeepBox is an online tool for sketching and sharing chiptune melodies. ModBox expands the world of BeepBox into a whole new realm! We are on the frontier of exploaration with this beta!
All song data is packaged into the URL at the top of your browser. When you make changes to the song, the URL is updated
to reflect your changes. When you are satisfied with your song, just copy and paste the URL to save and share your song!
You can add or remove notes by clicking on the gray rows at the top. BeepBox automatically plays the notes out loud for you.
Notes go into patterns, and you can edit one pattern at a time. Those numbered boxes at the bottom of the editor are the
different patterns you can edit. Click the other boxes to move to a different part of the song, or click the arrows
on the currently selected box to swap which pattern is played during that part of the song.
There are four rows of patterns that BeepBox can play simultaneously, and each row has its own set of patterns. The first
three rows can play melodies and the bottom row is for drums.
The purple loop underneath the numbered boxes controls which part of the song is currently repeating. Move the loop to listen
to a different part of the song, or drag the ends to expand the loop to include the whole song.
When BeepBox has focus (click on its interface above), you can use these keyboard shortcuts:
Spacebar: Pause or Resume
Y or Shift Z: Redo
C: Copy the current pattern
V: Paste the current
Q: Go to Custom Song Settings
[ ]: Move the playhead backward and forward
Arrow Keys: Change which bar is selected
a pattern to the currently selected bar
In the pattern editor, you can click and drag horizontally on a note to adjust its duration. You can also click above or
below an existing note to enable a rapid arpeggio/trill effect, oscillating between two or more simultaneous notes.
AVDANCED: Drag vertically from an existing note to bend its pitch, or drag vertically from above or below the note to adjust
ModBox has many more features. Enabling Advanced Settings via the Prefernces Menu unlocks much more of Modbox's features!
Need some inspiration? Check out some of these songs that other people have posted on Twitter!
BeepBox is developed by John Nesky, also known as @shaktool. Modded Beepbox is developed by Quirby64, Theepicosity, Fillygroove, and DARE.
BeepBox and Modded Beepbox do not claim ownership over songs created with it, so original songs belong to their authors.
Neither John Nesky, BeepBox, nor the Modded BeepBox Dev Team assume responsibility for any copyrighted material played on BeepBox. No songs are ever received,
recorded, or distributed by BeepBox or Moded Beepbox's servers. The Modbox Dev Team is not liable for any problems that may occur
when your song gets updated in this beta and this beta alone. All song data is contained in the URL after the hash (#) mark, and BeepBox
running inside your browser converts that data into sound waves.
You can download and use the source code under the MIT license.
In particular, you can use the synth code as demonstrated here to play BeepBox songs
Shared on Twitter:
Modded BeepBox Changelog
Go here to see the original Modded BeepBox and it's changelog for 1.x updates.
Go here to see the 2.0 version of Modded BeepBox and it's changelog for 2.x updates.
Go here for more information on Beepbox and Modded Beepbox.
ModBox 3.0 Snapshots
[2018, Mar. 20][S] 3.0.0-A
- 13 New Themes
- Added Advanced Settings
- Moved Blending and Riff to Advanced Settings
- Increased Max Reverb to 5
- Advanced Color Scheme in Preferences
- Custom Harmony
- Octave Offset
[2018, Mar. 21][S] 3.0.0-B
- Added Overdrive to Advanced Settings
- Added a new theme, Poniryoshka
- Added two new instrument waves, Lyre and Ramp Pulse (originally R-Sawtooth)
- Added a new drum wave, Cutter
- Bug Fixes
- Offset Octave has been adjusted
- Link problem has been fixed for Discord
[2018, Mar. 22][S] 3.0.0-C
- The changelog looks much cleaner
- Added New Song, Customize Song, Forwards, Backwards, Undo, and Redo buttons
[2018, Mar. 22][S] 3.0.0-D
- Re-added the hotkey for custom song settings
- Fixed grammar mistakes in the changelog
[2018, Mar. 23][S] 3.0.0-E
- Added 4 new decays, all relating to the new "fade" option
- Added 2 new themes, Gameboy and Woodkid, and updated the Cinnamon Spice theme
[2018, Mar. 24][S] 3.0.0-F
- Added 3 new themes, Midnight and Snedbox, along with a secret one
- Temporarily replaced Overdrive with Decay for ADSR sliders that might come in the future.
- Added a new decay; Decay Drawn
- Added Filters and Harmony for drums, although its buggy
[2018, Apr. 02][S] 3.0.0-G
- Temporarily removed additions made to percussion channels to be fixed later
- Gave undo/redo buttons their respective names
- Fixed unalignment with lettering
- Refresh prompt now after changing Themes
- Color of 6th Pitch channel was altered for better viewing
- Text color and some Advanced Settings sliders now relate to respective channel
- Gave cleanslate back its original default bar patterns
[2018, May 16][S] 3.0.0-H
- Updated to the latest Beepbox Update, with FM
- Harmony now has a description
- Removed Decay and added Noise and Curve sliders
- Added instant-mute buttons
[2018, June 18][S] 3.0.0-I
- Fixed the volumes for drums
- Added new stuff for FM
- Added a Detune slider
- Increased the max tempo
[2018, July 16][S] Pre-3.0
- Fades should work correctly again
[2018, July 28][S] 3.0.0-J
- Fixed Mobile visual error
ModBox 3.1 Snapshots
[2018, July 28][S] 3.1.0-uA_1
- Changed the song settings interface, although some parts are still buggy (will fix!)
[2018, Aug. 2][S] 3.1.0-uA_2
- Changed the song settings interface again
- You can now have 0 instrument channels
- Harmony has been renamed again
[2018, Aug. 3][S] 3.1.0-uA_3
- Added some new custom fm envelopes
- Changed the sax and guitar waves slightly
- Added a new harmony type, "chord" (kinda weird, will fix!)
[2018, Aug. 4][S] 3.1.0-uA_4
- Fixed the chord option in harmony
- Added the "seventh" option in harmony
- There may be a new custom drum editor coming soon... check the drum channels
[2018, Aug. 17][S] 3.1.0-uA_5
- Updated to the latest Modbox update
[2018, Aug. 18][S] 3.1.0-uA_6
- The Instant Mute button is now actually a button
- Offset Octave has been temporaily subdued due to incompatability
- The FM description has been updated
- The volume slider now works on FM (its still buggy, but dont think we dont know how to weed 'em out!)
[2018, Aug. 18][S] 3.1.0-uA_7
- The volume slider for FM has been mostly fixed
- Offset Octave works better than ever!
- Added a new harmony type, "half arpeggio"
- Fixed a bug where union didn't harmonize properly
[2018, Aug. 19][S] 3.1.0-uB_1
- Added a new info box in advanced settings called "Song Data," which, suprisingly, gives data on your song
- Advanced settings is now a preference option instead of being encoded into the url of the song
- Removed Noise and Curve
- The detune slider now (finally) works!
[2018, Aug. 25][S] 3.1.0-uB_2
- Removed Octave Offset from the FM Settings Menu
- Tweaked the names of some rhythms
- Added harmony on the drums channel (this very well may be subject to change, so try not to use it in your songs!)
- Fixed a bug where imute in drums wouldn't save in the url
- Fixed a bug where drums would automatically load onto custom drums mode
[2018, Aug. 28][S] 3.1.0-uB_3
- Removed the arpeggio speed from the song data menu
- Fixed a bug where riff affected union
[2018, Aug. 31][S] 3.1.0-C_1
- Added a new "cut" option! (its really buggy right now, but thats why we have a beta)
- There are new options in Octave Offset, with new options for fifths
- FM now supports Octave Offset
- Fixed a bug where the last volume tick in FM muted the instrument regardless
[2018, Sept. 2][S] 3.1.0-C_2
- The custom drums option has been temporarily removed for later
- Fixed bugs with the "cut" option
- Added offset octave to drums
- New warning message for Microsoft Edge users
[2018, Sept. 2][S] 3.1.0-C_3
- Fixed a bug where drums still loaded with custom drums even though there was nothing there
- FM works with the detune slider
- The color coordination of Advanced Settings was changed (as was the color of everything else)
[2018, Sept. 5][S] 3.1.0-C_4
fixed a bug where drums still loaded with custom drums even though there was nothing there
[2018, Sept. 9][S] 3.1.0-C_5
- Added a new Chord option.
- Added some stuff to Song Data.
- There are more ticks for volume.
- Fixed a small but rare bug with note placement in drum channels.
[2018, Sept. 23][S] 3.1.0-C_6
- Added the ability to switch between different mixing styles
[2018, Sept. 24][S] 3.1.0-C_7
- Added a new option to the mixing dropdown, "Type A"
- Added a bunch of new differences between the mixing types
- Fixed a bug where the color of the advanced song settings would change when imute was enabled
- Like always, there were inconsistencies in the changelog that needed to be fixed
[2018, Sept. 25][S] 3.1.0-C_8
- Fixed a bug where FM in type C spikes at the last volume tick
- Type A mixing should be a bit better
- There is now a description bubble with the mixing types
[2018, Oct. 03][S] 3.1.0-C_9
- Modbox is now Spooky! You can disable the effect in the preferences menu
- Advanced Settings is now automatically set when going onto modbox for the first time
[2018, Oct. 06][S] 3.1.0-C_10
- Modbox and Sandbox are merging!
- Two unnamed waveforms from the pasts of Modbox and Sandbox has been added, along with a new envelope, filter, muff slider and FM Features all from Sandbox
- There is now an archives area at the top of the screen
- Updated the index.html file (there is a new synth example!)
- Added a bunch of new spooky titles in Halloween mode!
[2018, Oct. 08][S] 3.1.0-C_11
- Edited the archives to include Sandbox 3.0.0.
- Removed the "mixTypes" variable
- Added an experimental Volume Bend feature, which currently does nothing, but is supposed to increase the maximum volume bending for notes.
[2018, Oct. 13][S] pre-3.1_1
- Sandbox 3.0.0 archives now load
- Temporarily removed the volume bend feature for later updates
- The archive list is more compact
[2018, Oct. 17][S] pre-3.1_2
- Volume in FM works somewhat differently on Type C mixing
[2018, Oct. 18][S] pre-3.1_3
- Fixed a bug where you were able to change the sample rate of the song by editing the url
[2018, Nov. 03][S] pre-3.1_4
- Spooky time is over. (Sorry about the wait, everyone... We've been encountering some technical difficulties with upcoming projects and porting. Bear with us; we've got some exciting new stuff on the horizon!)
ModBox 3.2 Snapshots
[2019, Jan. 08][S] pre-3.2_1
- Added Panning!!! Super Special Thanks to John Nesky, creator of BeepBox for helping me get this running!! -DARE
- Completely removed SpookyBox from code
- Removed percussion type (for now)
- Readded side color to advanced settings
- Fixed exporting to Json
- Added FrozenOver and Halloween theme
[2019, Jan. 14][S] pre-3.2_2
- Super quick fix to mobile
[2019, Jan. 26][S] pre-3.2_3
- Fixed the changelogs
[2019, Jan. 27][S] pre-3.2.2_1
- Changed .mid to .midi
- Added a 3.0 archive
- Notes in chip and drums also have numbers
- Added the modbox description to mobile